1:50 AM | Author: Ryan Schaefer
Indeed an interesting question- "How is the internet affecting human intellect and thinking processes?" Well I like to think of the internet as the world and users as people- There will be fruitful and gaining times and/or areas of the world and we, as the users, have the freewill to choose our experience accordingly. Basically, you make what you want out of it. The internet, is unlike any other source available - it is: virtually boundless, accurate, inaccurate, beneficial, detrimental- It is worldly- it is not perfect. Yet, we rely on it, and I think that this reliance is justifiable by even the slightest ounce of diligence while delving into whatever answer you seek.

Do I trust google? Yes! But I also understand that it is not perfect, and that I must take the responsibility to to be both diligent and skeptical of whatever it "magically" reveals.

Now a better question might be- "How has the internet changed the ordinary student?"


If I were to personally answer this I would have to say this:
  • I do not read - I skim, thank you sparknotes
  • "And what the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation" (Carr).
  • When I have a question, thank you google or Chacha or Kgb
  • When I am confused about math or spanish - thank you wordreference and forums.

Without it- I would be a fish out of water. I think that the internet has improved my writing, but that is also because I wish to become a better writer, so I inquire the internet accordingly. Social networks like facebook has had a diverse effect on its users- The influence might seem to be problematic, when people can't even make their status a coherent thought- but on the other hand the public nature of facebook maybe pressures people to check spelling and grammar- out of fear of being seen as unintelligent.


Understand yourself- Play life's game, bend the rules and lastly make it, what you want it













Category: |
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 8, 2009 at 8:14 PM , Unknown said...

I agree with you that I often think of the most sweeping changes as for students. I use the interent to fact-check everything, and combine sources to try and find out what is truest. I don't have to search through chapters, just key words, and I can now even type in words on the page and the site will automatically word-match for me...which is pretty sweet. I almost literally can cut and paste and drag and drop anything.

I forget, however, what life was like without the internet. I sometimes was lonely as a kid--never now. i'm always scheming to buy something, or go somewhere, or messaging friends I know well or barely know at all, but am still connected to via the internet.

Do I think we're dumber? I think nations and continents get dumber with each passing year...I should hope so. There's too many of us for everyone to be intelligent. I think that the internet has opened up a whole new host ofproblems for companies and creators in the web wrold...but for the most part, it has only helped the users.

 
On April 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM , Joseph Wegert said...

Again,it's not that google thins out our choices, it's that google gives us too much, whatever we want. It makes us lazier and appeals too much to us. If something seems too good to be true, if something makes things too easy, it probably is, or there is a downside. We as internet users must watch ourselves and our own laziness in using the web instead of our own brains.