10:45 AM | Author: Ryan Schaefer

In spirit of Valentine’s Day, I thought I would entertain the concept of “love” for this week’s blog entry. When I first sat down to gather my week’s thoughts about love and synthesize them into a blog, I found my self lost in the journey. Questions arose like, “ What is love?”

Research only produced further questions and alternative definitions, which led me to inconclusive understandings.

Perhaps love was created the instant that history began to write itself, or maybe love has always existed. I am unsure of love’s origin, but I am sure that it has existed as a mysterious and magical marvel that society (Primitive to most advanced, Alpha to Beta, and Poor to Privileged)- all have had a difficult time binding love’s meaning to words.

Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”

Aristotle

“He who is in love is wise and is becoming wiser, sees newly every time he looks at the object beloved, drawing from it with his eyes and his mind those virtues which it possesses.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

"For stony limits cannot hold love out, and what love can do, that dares love attempt"

William Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet

Love suffers long, and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.... And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”

The Bible, I Corinthians 13:1-2

These quotes encompass, what I consider, a meager attempt to define love, and I am still unsatisfied with it. I do not believe it can be wholly defined or understood completely. I believe… that love… is written in a unique language of the heart, and that from which it is written, is where it is understood.

So I challenge you (whoever reads this blog) to think about love this Valentine’s Day, because love should be recognized and held higher in thought than a box of chocolates or flowers. Everyday, I learn more and more of the purpose of things- finding that there’s a design.

Live. Learn. Love.

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence."

- Erich Fromm

-Ryan-

Category: |
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On February 16, 2009 at 12:24 PM , Marcia Quijada said...

I truly loved your post, especially that Bible passage that you placed. It is satisfying and peaceful. I just want to tell you that if you're in love with that person, probably that passage is the right guidance for all of us. Even if it sounds vague, but all those who are strong can make it.

The song is beautiful. It is peaceful and it talks the truth. All we need is love to stop wars, taking advantage of other people and start being happy again.